Friday, July 16, 2010

Don't Flip Out - Flip It Upside Down


Topsy turvy Work in progress
Pastel on suede mat Board


Topsy turvy work in progress
Pastel on Canson Mi-tientes paper

Topsy Turvy work in progress
Pastel on Sabertooth pastel paper

Now Back to Right Side Up


 



Oh I can't tell you how freeing it is to paint with the canvas upside down. It's an anti anxiety pill for artists no matter what medium your into. It's a great way to start a painting and get it going on good footing. I started teaching a new class today. We all ended up turning our canvases upside down. I started this method with my last class. It  turned out to be very successful for all of us. I paint as long as I can without doing the flip. With the cow painting, I hope to do it all the way through (I will keep you posted). Anyway, it's great to be back in my studio painting again. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting advice! Maybe that's why I love abstracts--I never know which side IS up, until late in the process. And it usually doesn't matter, if it's a well-balanced painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very true. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete