Monday, June 6, 2011

A Painting and It's Process

"Going In"
9 s 12
Pastel on Sabertooth Pastel Paper

Still coming out of a stagnation period but so glad to see this work come to completion.
I wanted to paint something peaceful and soothing with an non objective beginning that was all I knew when I started this this piece. I started by focusing on shapes and colors. As the painting progressed, I indulged myself by using water color pencils (dry or dipped in water), pastel pencils, Prismacolor pencils and regular pencils alternation with the pastel. I used the pencils to add curved lines and draw shapes where ever my instinct prompted me to go. Next I thumbed through a creative painting book for more inspiration which resulted in my adding a waterway to draw the eye in. From this point on I adjusted and tweeted here and there until I felt at peace with this work.  

2 comments: