Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On The Easel Unfinished and Uninviting for Too Long

It Started With Green
18 x 24
Pastel on Linen Mat Board

This painting started out as an abstract floral. I started with a large Sunflower in the upper right quadrant. Other then a few playful strokes of greens and black that's all I painted on it. It sat in my studio untouched for about 6 months when I decided the heck with it, I'm never going to finish this. Something about it was uninviting. So I wiped off as much pastel as I could using tissues, then scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Now I'm ready to start the new work. Recently I checked out a book from the Timberline Gallery lending library called "Painting the Spirit of Nature" by Maxine Masterfield. This is a book describing some of her techniques along with photos of her works as well as other's works. All I can say is WOW. I was blown away, inspired and energized, I want to say like I've never been before although I'm sure I've been this inspired before. Just can't remember when.
So this is the first painting I've done since I got the book. I'm returning it back to Timberline this week or next as I have it on order. I don't want to give it up until I get my own copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment