Friday, January 22, 2010

It's Time To Get Wet First, Then Get Dressed as Mud Pie #17


Mud Pie #17
Canson Paper
8 1/2  x 11

While I've been blogging along,I've been doing my mud pies pretty faithfully. I'm up to #20. Mud pies ,for those of you just now coming to my blog,  is a project I am currently undertaking along with my students. We have committed to painting 40 pastel paintings choosing our own composition  and painting it 40 times using the same composition more or less and setting an approximate time limit. The purpose being to have fun and the freedom to try new things. Doing the perfect painting is not the goal, but no matter, I start out to have fun and do so, all the better if it becomes something substantial. On this mud pie I sprayed the paper heavily with  turpenoid then applied the pastels on the wet surface. It was fun and thrilling at the same time. It took on an almost water color look to it. Do you agree?
Note of caution ....the foamcore backing that I attached the pastel paper to bowed and the outer layers separated off due to the moisture soaking through but it was worth it.
Questions: Have you tried this technique before and what has been your results?

2 comments:

  1. Has me thinking I'll try it out. I really like this as a painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like. Hope you do try it out and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete